Saturday, May 4, 2013

ThakkaliKai Poricha Kootu - a new discovery!


We are still on the second day of Blogging Marathon #28, hosted by Srivalli, and I am back with the second recipe for my theme for this week : Kootus made in Tamil households. When planning for this theme, I pored over several previous recipes of mine and several more on the internet, but for some reason, I was not able to narrow down specific recipes that I could try out. However, two days back, I was at the local supermarket, when something caught my eye in the tomato-section. Something green, and shiny, and very tomato-like, except that it was green. Green Tomatoes, $1.99/lb, the board said. My mind did a flash-back of all the recipes that I had read in the past weeks. Yes, there was one which was made with raw-tomatoes, ThakkaliKai Kootu. I had dismissed it without a second glance, as I was skeptical about the availability of raw-tomatoes in my city. I was still doubtful, because the board said 'Green' Tomatoes and not 'Raw' Tomatoes, because where I live, it could probably be a genetically-modified version of the regular tomatoes. However, I still shelled out $2.38 for two gigantic green tomatoes and decided to try my luck with them. Well, obviously my risky-decision paid off, or I wouldn't be ranting on about this new-found vegetable on this blog. So, here goes my next entry for the BM#28, ThakkaliKai (Raw Tomato) Poricha Kootu.

Untitled
   
Poricha Kootus are called so because the masala powder is made by roasting (Tamil : பொறிக்கறது porikkarthu) Urad Dal, Chana Dal and a number of selected spices and grinding them together. I have taken the freedom to use two ingredients that are not traditionally used in Poricha Kootu Masala : Sesame Seeds and Raw Rice, the former for imparting a nutty flavor and the latter for thickening purposes. They both added beautifully to the already flavorsome Kootu, which I ended up having with Curd Rice at 12 in the night. Yeah, Grad-School and timely dinners don't exactly go hand-in-hand.

THAKKALI-KAI PORICHA KOOTU (Serves 3-4)
Set-up Time : 15 minutes
Experiment Run-Time : 30 minutes

The Shopping List

          Set 1: At the Chopping Board
         Green/Raw Tomato : 2 medium, cut into cubes
          
          Set 2: Poricha Podi
          Grated Coconut : 1/3 cup
          Raw Rice : 1/2 Tbsp
          Coriander Seeds : 1.5 Tbsp
          White Sesame Seeds : 1 Tbsp
          Dried Red Chilies : 4 or 5
          Urad Dal : 1 Tbsp
          Chana Dal : 1/2 Tbsp

          Set 3: Protein Base and Seasoning
          Split Pigeon Peas/Toor Dal : 1/3 Cup
          Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
          Turmeric Powder : 1/2 Tsp
          Asafeotida : a generous pinch
          Dried Red Chilies : 1, broken
          Curry Leaves : 1 strand
          Sesame Oil : 1 Tbsp
          Salt : As required

Methodology

1. Place the Toor Dal in a pressure cooker along with 1 cup of water, turmeric powder and sufficient salt. Pressure cook the dal for up to 3 whistles. Open the cooker and mash the Dal haphazardly, with the help of a sturdy churning rod and set it aside.

2. In a pan, place the raw tomatoes, salt and little turmeric. Add sufficient water to just cover the tomato pieces. Boil for 10-15 minutes until the tomato pieces are thoroughly cooked.

Untitled

3. In the mean time, dry roast each of the first five ingredients given in Set 2, individually. Also, gently fry the dals together in a teaspoon of oil until the Urad Dal turns reddish-brown. Cool and grind them all together into a dry powder.

Untitled

4. Add the cooked dal from step one to the cooked raw tomatoes and continue to boil the tomatoes in the dal. Water maybe added to adjust the consistency, if desired.

5. Finally, add the Poricha Podi into the boiling Kootu. Close with a lid and cook for 5 more minutes on a medium flame. You may cook more if it is too watery, but the raw rice should thicken it up nicely anyways.

Untitled

6. Heat the sesame oil in a seasoning pan and throw in the mustard seeds, asafoetida, red chilies and curry leaves. Using sesame oil would help in enhancing the nutty flavor that would be imparted by the sesame seeds in the podi. Other oils may underplay this effect and the full flavor of the podi maybe supressed. Pour the seasoning over the Kootu and serve immediately, while the aroma of the sesame oil is still in the air.

Untitled
     
The Kootu was unbelievable and I am listing ThakkaliKai as "My Culinary Find of the Month". I plan to experiment more with it and see how well it holds up. Like I said, I had it with curd rice and some really spicy Avakkaya. HEAVEN. And that is probably what has kept me going for the past hour and half or so, as I finished cleaning up and wrote this post. Right now, it is past 3 am, and I have loads of Kootu stored away in the refrigerator for a sumptuous lunch tomorrow, and I am going to catch a good night's sleep before I get to tackle it all over again!  

15 comments:

  1. oh how I love that last click..just feel like digging into that bowl..and I love spicy food.and loving all that tempering and fresh spices.
    you work till 3 and I get up at 4 to work at times..ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so tempting. Will definitely try it

    ReplyDelete
  3. And with your tight schedule, you have the zeal to come up with a food blog. :)
    The kootu looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...another creamy yummy looking kootu. the only way I have had green tomatoes is as Fried Green Tomatoes, which is a very common item in southern US and have made before - the tomatoes are dipped in a seasoned cornmeal batter and fried. I usually go to a local farm in the fall to pick apples, pumpkins etc. and sometimes I get green tomatoes - will try this the next time I get them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure the flavour kicked it with the rice... There is a similar dish in Mysore / Bangalore region called Tomato hasi gojju with poppy seeds. and that tastes equally flavoursome.. good that ur shopping inventory worked well !! And a 3 AM post, thats quite a committment, Kudos :-)

    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    Event : MLLA # 59 + giveaway
    Magic Mingle # 17

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's some beautiful pictures Deepak. I guess we food bloggers end up doing things that are way past regular things..:)..Sounds very interesting to use like this. I feel we can use anything when it finally ends up yummy like this..very nice would surely want to try this when I get green tomatoes..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you click and kootu look delicious and mouthwatering..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the step-by-step clicks!!! Last click is super inviting!!! adding rice to araichuvita sambhar is what we do normally, but to kootu also, will remember next time mine turns runny!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand your excitement in finding a new ingredient. My latest discovery is kappa/ tapioca. I can't stop myself from buying at least 2 on every grocery trip.
    That kootu looks yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually make dal or chutney with green tomatoes. This kootu sounds very interesting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never added rice to the podi.Must try this version the next time which is probably tomorrow.Will pick up raw tomatoes from the farmers market too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. NIce recipe Deepak. Tasted this dal once at my friends place. Yummy taste.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi this is my first time here. As I was reading through your recipe I realized its what we call in Kannada as Gojju. I know it tastes awesome . Lovely pics

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delicious kootu, Looks very filling and healthy too..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome anna. I'm going to try this today.

    ReplyDelete